Monday, August 29, 2011

Sophomore!!!

New kid on the block. Freshman. No longer! I am now a sophomore. I fit in here, I know what I am doing, the best way to buy books, the fastest way to the Alumni building, what exits to avoid leaving FMA, and what meals are good in the Dining Common. I don't have to check out when I go to Bi lo, and I can go off campus for church Sunday mornings.

But I'm not the new person here. Which implies that there are new people here. And since I am not one of them, well, what does that mean for me? I remember what it feels like to be the new person. Unsure of what's going on, afraid of making a mistake, and worried about doing something really stupid and embarrassing. Mostly, it means not being sure of what to do and when/where. And because I do know what's going on, and I never was afraid or worried about being embarressed, I should be reaching out to those that need help.

In fact, that is my prayer. I ask God every day to show me somebody that needs help. I was talking to one of my friends the other day and she mentioned how we all pretend that everything is ok. As if admitting that something is wrong or you are hurting inside is a sin. Here in the "bubble" (on campus) we all walk around with fake smiles plastered on our faces. I want to reach out to those around me. People are hurting physically, spiritually, and emotionally. God put us on this earth and on this campus to help those around us. If I don't, who will? If you don't care enough to reach out to that roommate, why should anyone else?




1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts, Steph!! God will encourage you even more than you think as you strive to be a help to the newbies. :)

    ReplyDelete